Wednesday, July 27, 2011

May 31st, 2011 - ANOTHER surgery

I went to the orthopedic oncologist on Friday and before they even saw me they gave me a new x-ray. The place is near the UF campus, nice big glass and stone building, marble floors... they even have their own on site X-ray and MRI facilities. So once they read my new x-rays, the doctor (and his "fellow") came in to talk to me. Long story short, what I have behind my knee is an actual tumor. No discussion on how it got there, we didn't really care. What they cared about is with my Melanoma, tumors can pop up anywhere on my body at any time. He did say that the odds of this being Melanoma are very low, but... he suggests I have surgery to take it out so they can do the lab work on it and make sure it's not Melanoma. He said if it was him, he'd have it out. At first I was like "Oh HELL no, I am NOT having ANOTHER SURGERY!!", but then after I had a few mins to think about it, I knew I was going to do it. I mean, come on, I'm still recovering from my last surgery... it was only a month ago, but the thought that this could be cancerous, it would just be stupid to leave it sit there. If they take it out and it comes back benign, then hey, I can relax and heal.

I wish they would put me to sleep to do it, but they won't. Here's the part that I'm not happy about; he said they would give me a nerve block to numb my right leg for the surgery. That's a shot in my lower back on the side near my sciatic. Ok, that sounds PAINFUL, but the doctor assured me it didn't hurt. Yeah, like I'm gonna take the word of a doctor on what's painful? Ha! In the end, I don't have a choice, it has to come out and whatever pain is involved has to be endured.

Deni says I'm just bound and determined to get my lifetime's alotment of surgeries over in 3 months. Yeah, this will be my **4th** surgery since March 14th. It's not a record I'm actively going for. Right when I'm starting to feel better and get my range of motion back in my arm, now I'm gonna be Limpy McCripple stumbling around until my knee heals.

So I'll call them tomorrow and see how soon they want this done. ::sigh::

I am strong, I am brave, I am aggressive, I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment