Monday, August 15, 2011

You better check yourself..... :)

So I guess I've decided to tell people outside of the Melanoma family that I'm in remission. That way they understand that I'm in a "wait and see" mode, that I live with the uncertainty of cancer coming back every day. I've joined a Melanoma group on Facebook called Bad Ass Melanoma Warriors and the people there are so positive, supportive, and FUNNY. I tell you, humor goes a long way when you have Melanoma, or any cancer. If you're reading this and you have Melanoma, join that group. You won't regret it.

I have my first follow up at the dermatologist the day after tomorrow. The good news is Deni has a few suspicious spots and she has an appt with the same doctor at the same time. I'm so glad. I don't think hers are Melanoma, but she's had several basal cell skin cancers removed, so I'm just really happy she's getting checked out. My dermatologist gave me my very first Melanoma scar, and it was small compared to what I have now. I'm sure she'll want to see them all. I have a special purple shirt that I wear to the doctor because it shows off my chest scar and it's easy to lift and show my under arm scar. It sounds funny to say "show off" my scars, but that's how I feel. If my scars can prompt a total stranger to ask me what happened, I will DELIGHT in telling them how awful Melanoma is. I will be THRILLED to bring more awareness to this black beast that no one ever talks about. You hear about breast cancer everywhere, but not Melanoma, which is the FASTEST growing cancer in young people today.

I've heard because I am a stage 3 now, my dermatologist will want to check me just about EVERYWHERE. I guess I'm glad she's a woman, but at the same time, I feel sorry for her...LOL. I will let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment